Tuesday, May 18th, 2010...1:39 pm

Artistss

Jump to Comments

Jon Gitelson

John Gitelson is a multimedia artist with a focus on digital photography. His work deals with looking further into common, everyday thing. In his collection “Dream Job” the artist pairs wanted job classifieds with pictures of people who might take the job. It is an interesting way of looking into the stereotypes and cliches of today and gives an insight into what the artist might think of the type of people who work for each job. Another interesting collection is “The Car Project” in which Gitelson collected all the club flyers he received on the windshield of his car plus others he found on the street and made them into a car cover. Gitelson then took the car and photographed it in front of the various clubs that were advertising with the flyers.

John Gitelson’s work really impressed me because of the simplicity of his basic ideas and the expansive stories that they inspire. At first glance his collection “Hidden Clothing” looks like photographs of old clothing but he describes the objects as things his girlfriend wouldn’t let him wear anymore. I related to this because of all of the things my mom finally wouldn’t let me wear anymore after the last fatal stain. It also reminded me of when I first started doing my laundry and managed to shrink one of my favorite shirts. John Gitelson’s work is an interesting way of story telling that incorporates the modern everyday

Ian Whitmore

Ian Whitmore uses photography to take a critical look on different elements of society. In his collection “Nowhere” he takes pictures of landscapes that seem deserted. Whitmore describes these scenes as ones “we see every day but rarely address their functional purpose or aesthetic value.” Another well known collection of Whitmore’s is entitled “Channels” where he takes a look at different tv’s and there surroundings. This collection explores how each television set creates a community atmosphere.

The idea surrounding “Nowhere” interested me but overall it was depressing to me. I think that what makes the objects substantial is the way people interact with them, and really they are nothing without the people that use them. This for me made all the pictures seem deserted and made me imagine what it would be like if there was a nuclear disaster or something that wiped everyone out. I enjoyed channels though because of its playfulness. I have never really examined the surroundings of televisions but it made me think more deeply about the televisions in my life, like they were a living thing.

Matt Siber

Matt Siber explores text and commercialism and the combined. The “Untitled Project” explores the power of text. Siber removed all text from the works to show the alternate forms of communication such as color and shape. “Floating Logos” explores a similar idea where business signs such as a light up “Dennys” sign has its pole taken away so it looks like it is floating in the sky. This collection was inspired by the tall signs on the side of highways and is an appreciation of the often overlooked form of advertising.

I found Matt Siber to be the most interesting conceptually. I really enjoyed the way he brought attention to the power of advertising because it is something often overlooked and is very complex. The way we react to the advertising symbols almost gives a glimpse into the human brain. I loved all of his artwork because of what they inspired in me and made me ponder.